nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:08:34 -0400

Hey... how about not using selective editing to change the thread of discussion (see below)

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman () meetinghouse net> wrote:
Re. NTP: Timekeeping is rather essential in lots of applications - like, for
example, transit operations, where I currently spend my work life.  An
accurate, accessible central clock tends to be a rather important system
component.  And we're talking concerns in the range of seconds.  When you
start getting into serious real-time systems (laboratory instrumentation,
utility operations, warfighting, ....) - yeah, NTP servers start getting
really interesting, to a lot of people.
As I've already said a couple of times, systemd does not force a
particular NTP implementation on you.  It comes with one (timedated),
and has a utility to manage it (timedatectl) but the admin can install
and use a different one if they like.

The only thing that has changed recently with respect to that is that
timedatectl can no longer be used to manage chronyd or ntpd.

What you snipped out of the message was YOUR previous statement, to which I was responding:

systemd is a tool designed to get the system to a state where "real
work" can be done.  NTP servers, DHCP clients, consoles, aren't the
real work of a system, or at least I hope not, because that would be
boring to me.

If you're going to simply keep repeating "I like systemd, everything is copacetic" - maybe you should take your fanboy attitude elsewhere, and let those of us concerned with operational impacts have a meaningful conversation here. And maybe, you should check out some of the upstream bug reports re. systemd interactions with NTP.

Plonk.

Miles Fidelman