nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

From: Sander Steffann <sander () steffann nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 21:21:17 +0200

Hi,

How many Youtube subject tags will fit in *your* routers' TCAM?

 http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/09/04/2156232/ucla-cisco-more-launch-consortium-to-replace-tcpip

[ Can someone convince me this isn't the biggest troll in the history
of the internet? Cause it sounds like shoehorning DNS /and Google/ into
IP in place of, y'know, IP addresses. ]

Well, you don't need addresses for clients, just for content... From the architecture page at
http://named-data.net/project/archoverview/:

"Note that neither Interest nor Data packets carry any host or interface addresses (such as IP addresses); Interest
packets are routed towards data producers based on the names carried in the Interest packets, and Data packets are
returned based on the state information set up by the Interests at each router hop."

So it's basically suggesting a NAT-like table in every single router. And we all know how well NAT boxes scale...

Cheers,
Sander