nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nat

From: Jason Baugher <jason () thebaughers com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 23:22:23 -0600

In the real world of service providers and customers, people don't "choose
to be the authors". To choose, they would have to know the options. If I
were to randomly poll 1000 of our residential customers to ask them about
their L2/L3 networks, firewall policies, etc..., they'd have no idea what I
was talking about. The majority of our small business customers are in the
same situation. The larger businesses with their own IT staff are in a
little better shape. The network consultants in the area barely understand
these subjects better than their customers.

Whether we're talking about Joe Sixpack or John SMB, they pay for a service
and expect that service to magically work. They've used phones for years
without understanding the PSTN. We gave them cellphones without making them
understand RF/LTE/GPRS/etc.... They drive cars every day without the first
clue about how internal combustion engines work. Why should data networks
be any different? Sure, I'm oversimplifying things, but that's how
non-technical people think. They should be able to spend money on cool
and/or useful gadgets, connect those gadgets to their networks, and use
them. It's tough enough to try and explain why the neighbor's wi-fi parked
on channel 8 is an interferer. L2, L3, IPv4/6 and Multicast? Good luck.

From a service provider perspective, I feel we have 2 choices. The first is
to spend a lot of time trying to educate our customers on how networks work
and how to manage theirs. Personally, I'd rather have my fingernails pulled
out. The second, and I feel much less likely to fail, is to spend time
developing technology and service offerings to give our customers the easy,
spoon-fed experience they're looking for - and charge them for it
accordingly.