nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nat

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 11:46:13 +1100

In message <01de01d13900$fe364dd0$faa2e970$@gmail.com>, "Chuck Church" writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces () nanog org] On Behalf Of Matthew Petach
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:59 PM
Cc: North American Network Operators' Group <nanog () nanog org>
Subject: Re: Nat

I'm still waiting for the IETF to come around to allowing feature
parity between IPv4 and IPv6 when it comes to DHCP.

And that recent thread on prefix delegation doesn't really leave a good
taste in one's mouth about how to delegate a /56 or a /48 to a CPE, and
get that/those prefix(s) in your (ISP) routing tables.  Given that
99.999% of home users would be fine with a delegation of a single /64 and
a single subnet I'm tempted to do that for now and let the DHCP-PD ink
dry for a while so CPE support can follow up.

I have a single CPE router and 3 /64's in use.  One for each of the
wireless SSID's and one for the wired network.  This is the default
for homenet devices.  A single /64 means you have to bridge all the
traffic.

A single /64 has never been enough and it is time to grind that
myth into the ground.  ISP's that say a single /64 is enough are
clueless.

Mark

Chuck

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org