nanog mailing list archives

Re: de-peering for security sake

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:14:25 -0500

On Dec 26, 2015, at 10:09, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

My gauge is volume of obnoxious traffic.  When I get lots of SSH probes from a /32, I block the /32.

... without any knowledge of how many end systems are going to be affected.

A significant campus or provider user base behind a NAT is likely to
have more infections in absolute terms, which means more observed bad
behaviour. It also means more end-systems (again, in absolute terms)
that represent collateral damage.

When I get lots of SSH probes across a range of a /24, I block the /24.

[...]

When I see that the bad traffic has caused me to block multiple /24s, I will block the entire allocation.

Your network, your rules. But that's not the way I would manage things
if I thought my job was to optimise and maximise connectivity between
my users and the Internet.

With respect to ssh scans in particular -- disable all forms of
password authentication and insist upon public key authentication
instead. If the password scan log lines still upset you, stop logging
them.

Joe