nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 deagg

From: Jack Bates <jbates () paradoxnetworks net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:23:22 -0600

On 2/20/2015 4:13 AM, Nikolay Shopik wrote:

rfc6115 have good overview and recommendation. IPv6 clearly need
separation of identification of endpoints and routing information to
that endpoint.

I'm not overly familiar, but I'm always good for new things if one process is supported.

deagg X network to Y provider, ask provider to blackhole XY address in X.

Not every provider has a good blackhole system. Sometimes you desire to move a subset of data to a single provider for purposes of discarding data. I believe some of the protocols allow multiple sub-identifiers for load balancing purposes, but I'm unsure how strictly they are adhered to or if they might be ignored.

I know BGP blackholing is a coincidental abuse of how BGP works, but it is a commonly used one; especially when some city endusers now have more bandwidth than entire rural ISPs. DDOS/amplification isn't always necessary these days. :(

Jack