nanog mailing list archives

Re: leap second outage

From: Harlan Stenn <stenn () ntp org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 05:59:43 +0000

Mikael Abrahamsson writes:
This is similar to the jiffycounter wrapping, since this doesn't happen
that often, it's not commonly tested for. Good way is to start the jiffy
counter so it wraps after 10 minutes of uptime. That way you'll run into
any bugs quickly. Either we should abolish the leap second or we should
make leap second adjustments (back and forth) on a monthly basis to
exercise the code.

This is a hard sell though...

and it's perversely interesting.  It would even be tolerable when the
difference between UTC and UT1 is such that the insertions and deletions
maintain the +/- .9 s difference.  There would even be enough time to
warn folks about this.