nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 15:16:52 +1000

In message <op.x1hpayv0tfhldh () rbeam xactional com>, "Ricky Beam" writes:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 22:49:17 -0400, Karl Auer <kauer () biplane com au> wrote:
You, we, all of us have to stop using the present to limit the future.
What IS should not be used to define what SHOULD BE.

What people NOW HAVE in their homes should not be used to dictate to
them what they CAN HAVE in their homes, which is what you do when you
provide them only with non-globally-routable address space (IPv4 NAT),
or too few subnets (IPv6 /56) to name just two examples.

Talking about IPv6, we aren't carving a limit in granite. 99.99999% of
home networks currently have no need for multiple networks, and thus,
don't ask for anything more; they get a single /64 prefix. If tomorrow
they need more, set the hint to 60 and they get a /60. Need more, ask for
56... CURRENTLY, providers have their DHCP server(s) set to a limit of 56.
But that's simply a number in a config file; it can be changed as easily
as it was set the first time. (source pool size and other infrastructure
aside.) It's just like the escalation of speeds: as the need for it rises,
it becomes available. (in general, at least)

I already have 3 /64's hanging off a WNDR3700 (one for each of the
wireless networks and one for the wired).  If I turn on the second
ssid's for each radio that would be 5.

As for a customer getting a ISP's to increase the /56 PD to a /52
or a /48 I just don't see that happening.  It will either require
custom configuration for the customer or going back to the RIR and
asking for a bigger allocation based on moving from /56 to /52 or
/48 for all customers.  You then have to manage the transition.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org