nanog mailing list archives

Re: Route leak in Bangladesh

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 15:52:41 +0100

On 01/07/2015 15:12, Jared Mauch wrote:
      I would like to see others participate in the dialog with vendors
so we don't seem to be quite an outlier with "wow, you have really
large configs".  The vendors haven't quite kept pace with the increase
in density proportional to the number of configuration lines and
it sure feels like we are the only people pushing them to improve.

This is a strange sort of thing really.  There's no reason that a compiled
prefix list of 250k entries should take up much RAM in a trie structure;
there's no reason that a competently written parser shouldn't be able to
handle 20 megs of prefix lists / sets in a trivial amount of time and
there's no reason that writing a 20 meg configuration file should take long
to write to disk / flash / etc.

BIRD handles this in ultraquick time.  Even recent versions of Quagga can
now suck + parse 10 megs of prefix filters in a second or two and write
them out in less.

But Junos / IOS / XR puke horribly.  What gives?

Nick