nanog mailing list archives

Re: Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

From: Marco Davids <mdavids () forfun net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:09:56 +0200

Mark is right and I couldn't agree more with him.

On 15/07/15 08:22, Mark Andrews wrote:

Yet I can take a Windows XP box.  Tell it to enable IPv6 and it
just works.  Everything that a node needed existed when Windows XP
was released.  The last 15 years has been waiting for ISP's and CPE
vendors to deliver IPv6 as a product.  This is not to say that every
vendor deployed all the parts of the protocol properly but they
existed.

Most of the noise was people saying "We don't need IPv6" and second
guessing the design decisions because they still had IPv4 think.
If you look at the protocol it basically hasn't changed in the last
15 years. There has been minor tweak but what was there was complete
enough to deploy.

--
Marco