nanog mailing list archives

Re: Equipment Supporting 2.5gbps and 5gbps

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:39:23 -0800

On 1/28/16 10:29 AM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

I'd love to know what model Juniper you are getting for $102 per
10GbE port and where you are getting it. The lowest-end 10GbE switch
is the EX4600, which lists at more like $850 per port. You can get
higher-end ones with much larger port counts and get the cost/port
down to about half that, but I can't imagine what you could be
talking about for $102/port.

I would kill for a 24-port 10GbE Juniper switch for ~$2,500. You
can't even get a 24-port 1GbE for that.

a single asic trident+ switch with 56 10Gb/s ports is in the
neighborhood of 5k, less in volume... trident 2 is more.

lopping ports off doesn't make the asic any cheaper.

thanks, -Randy

----- On Jan 28, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Josh Reynolds