nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon and Level3 DNS flush

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 07:32:07 +0300

On 01/06/2016 21:16, Mike wrote:

On 06/01/2016 10:59 AM, Jürgen Jaritsch wrote:
Dear NANOGers,

is there anyone from Verizon and Level3 who can help me with DNS
caching issue? We're running a global service for a customer and we
had to change to NS IPs via Glue Records. At the moment at least
Verizone and Level3 are caching old NS records. Looking for DNS
admins out there.

Please contact me off- or on-list!

I totally understand the desire to just be able to go ask major
operators for a courtesy cache flush, but there are ways to update dns
and procedures to engage that can eliminate the underlaying causes of
same. Not that everyone, including myself, is prefect or godly (or has
their name in the rfc...!), but at the same time, it's a learning
experience being offered to you and I hope that whatever hole you shot
in your foot heals soon and hopefull you never have to make another
one like it.

Mike-

Those "procedures" were attempted to be documented in an RFC:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jabley-dnsop-flush-reqs-00
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jabley-dnsop-dns-flush-00
Unfortunately, nothing ever came of it, so people are forced to post to
NANOG pleading for help.

-Hank