nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP and Optical domains?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:58:51 +0900

Mark Tinka wrote:

By not managing transport characteristics at all except
that links are on or off (or, if you want to guarantee QoS,
a little more than that).

But how do Layer 3 protocols manage transport characteristics today?

Today??? You asked "can be better designed", didn't you?

And, don't miss the following assumption:

> L3 HELO generated frequently enough.

> Again, this does not seem too removed from what happens already today.

The problem, if any, is that doing much more than that
results in "heavily underutilized" network.

> I don't disagree with what you imply by "heavily".

The implication is not mine.

                                                Masataka Ohta