nanog mailing list archives

Re: EFF Call for sign-ons: ISPs, networking companies and engineers opposed to FCC privacy repeal

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 17:36:10 -0700

On 3/28/17 17:17, Mel Beckman wrote:

Hmmm... I hadn't heard about the $10 Internet access with no contracts and free installation. I'm pretty sure that's a complete
fantasy, and that every ISP on the planet makes sure they get a tidy profit from the contract fees that lock in customers, with zero advertising
income. Money from stealing user browser data is just gravy. Not that I'm opposed to gravy, but not when I, as a customer, don't get
any.

I'm mostly being speculatively facetious.

All I can say for sure is they do that NXDOMAIN thing unless you opt out, good for 1 year only, so remember to renew your opt out annually. But I just don't use their resolvers.

~Seth