nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft O365 labels nanog potential fraud?

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 09:06:19 -0700

In a message written on Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 08:58:38AM -0600, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
I also strongly recommend that mailing lists be viewed as an entity unto
themselves.  I.e. they receive the email, process it, and generate a new
email /from/ /their/ /own/ /address/ with very similar content as the
message they received.

I strongly encourage mailing list admins to enable Variable Envelope
Return Path to help identify which subscribed recipient causes each
individual bounce, even if the problem is from downstream forwards.

The problem with this is that it takes more processing power and
bandwidth.  Most people simply want an old school expansion that
re-sends the same, unmodified, message to multiple recipients.  -  That
methodology's heyday has come and mostly gone.

Actually, my problem is not so much processing power and bandwidth,
but that every time I've encountered this problem I found a morass
of painfully broken, horribly documented, super-complex software.

With sendmail/postfix you can edit an alias file and say:

        bob: joe, tim, alex

And boom, done.  If I could enable some feature/module/whatever in
either one with a line or two of config to make that do Variable
Envelope Return Path I would, but every solution I know of requires
setting up a complex milter, running some external daemon, which
often depends on 3 different interpreted languages to be installed
and so on down a dependency hell.

While I haven't looked at real mailing list software recently
(e.g. mailman) when I last did they didn't suport this either and
it took a pile of 3rd party hacks to make it work.

Why o why in 2017 can this not be a checkbox, a line of config, or
so on.

For that matter, setting up DKIM is horrendously complicated for
no good reason...

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org