nanog mailing list archives

Re: Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

From: Hunter Fuller <hf0002+nanog () uah edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 11:31:20 -0500

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 11:27 Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> wrote:

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018, Aaron Gould wrote:
As you all have said, to confirm, I use ssm Mcast to distribute TV from
satellite down links in the headend, out to a few different remote head
ends.  From there it's converted back to RF video and sent to
subscribers via cable or hfc plant

I'm aware that multicast is used extensively for "closed enterprise"
networks in the financial and media industries.  It seems to work well
when a single organization is paying for the entire network.

My executive official came from that background, so I get why someone
from that world would think multicast is widely used. Asking enterprise
network sales people, they keep saying Yes, of course we support
multicast.

That's why I wanted to hear from public Internet engineers if multicast
was still viable on the *public Internet*.

I'd say no - even though we have done inter-AS multicast before, it's only
been with our direct peers.