nanog mailing list archives

Re: Confirming source-routed multicast is dead on the public Internet

From: Tarko Tikan <tarko () lanparty ee>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 20:43:03 +0300

hey,

What if... Bear with me for a moment here, we don't try to force VoD onto a
multicast setup? Multicast is used extensively by all major ISPs(if they
have the rights) to deliver IPTV.

We are an IPTV provider in europe and we definetly see share of linear TV (that we are delivering via intra-AS multicast today) decreasing YOY.

OTT plays a big part but even more customers use our own on-demand services including network PVR.

Numbers don't add up yet but in 3-4 years even the intra-AS multicast will not make sense for us any more, easier/better to deliver everything via unicast.

--
tarko