nanog mailing list archives

Re: Site-Local/Unique-Local Addressing (IPv6)

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:09:09 -0500

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 05:03:14PM +0000, Nicholas Warren wrote:
Layman here, I was reviewing RFCs for a local address for IPv6. I came across two RFCs that seem interesting.

3879 Which deprecates Site Local Addresses.
4193 Which seems to add Unique Local Addresses.

What is the main difference here? Why was this standard removed then added back?

Site Local Addresses are/were Site Scope, similar to how Link-Local are Link-Local Scope and others are Global Scope.

ULA are Global Scope--but that doesn't mean they are globally routable.

The problem with Scopes being built-in to the addressing model is that software has to be coded to treat different
scopes differently.  It is hard enough to deal with Link-Local scope, and it was deemed too hard to deal with yet
another scope--Site Local.  For an example of the pain, try using Link-Local addresses in a web browser, or even with
"ping" on the command line.