nanog mailing list archives

Re: Site-Local/Unique-Local Addressing (IPv6)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:12:33 -0500

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Nicholas Warren <nwarren () barryelectric com>
wrote:

Layman here, I was reviewing RFCs for a local address for IPv6. I came
across two RFCs that seem interesting.

3879 Which deprecates Site Local Addresses.
4193 Which seems to add Unique Local Addresses.

What is the main difference here? Why was this standard removed then added
back?

Hi Nich,

ULA is the IPv6 equivalent to RFC1918. If assigned as instructed
(randomly), it can be used to build multi-organziation private networks
with a relatively low risk of collision, a property lacking in RFC1918.
Other than that, it's exactly the same as RFC 1918.

Site local is deprecated. As explained in the RFC, the concept of a "site"
could not be usefully defined for the purpose of private addressing. You
can safely ignore it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>