nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nanog] Cisco GLBP/HSRP question -- Has it ever been dis

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:55:31 -0600

On 8/5/19 9:19 AM, Nicolas Chabbey wrote:
Are there any good reasons of using proprietary FHRPs like HSRP and GLBP over VRRP ?

I thought that GLBP had functionality that allowed both participants to be active/active. I.e. you could cause ⅔ of traffic to go to one GLBP peer and the remaining ⅓ go to the other GLBP peer.

It's my understanding that neither HSRP nor VRRP support this active/active operation and that they are purely active/passive.

Sure, you can have multiple HSRP / VRRP IPs and spread the load via client configuration. But that's outside of the scope of the protocols themselves.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die