nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nanog] Cisco GLBP/HSRP question -- Has it ever been dis

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 21:20:51 -0600

On 8/5/19 1:17 PM, Vincentz Petzholtz wrote:
And as far as I remember: If a member fails then another one is taking over responsibility over the used mac address.

That's my understanding as well.

It surprised me a little bit that this never really taken off (not even within Cisco folks in the enterprise field as far as I know).

The few times that it's been discussed with colleagues has usually run into an issue of "how do we do GLBP between two L3 switches?".

I get the impression that GLBP would be more likely used with separate routers connected to common switches that didn't do L3 switching.

I was also keen if/when this ever get available on other vendors and/or open source software.

Agreed.

I did some sleuthing and just learned that OpenBSD's Common Address Redundancy Protocol (also ported to other *BSDs and Linux) does support an active/active configuration.

I found some details in FreeBSD's carp(4) man page. Search said page for "net.inet.carp.arpbalance".

So … I'm going to need to do some pontification about CARP.  }:-)

Just as everybody else we do run two VRRP instances with ECMP style routes on datacenter gear a lot.

I see VRRP used a lot as a way to move VIPs between servers for similar redundancy reasons.

But in some situations it would be nice to have something to spread the traffic across different routers (even when the client is too „dump“ for ecmp routes).

Yep. Cisco's GLBP can do that. I now know that OpenBSD's CARP can do that too. (#todayilearned)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die