nanog mailing list archives

Re: Last Mile Design

From: Thomas Bellman <bellman () nsc liu se>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 10:31:13 +0100

On 2019-02-11 04:57 CET, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 10/Feb/19 17:46, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
[...]
In any case, we are now building out our own fiber to cover the gaps
left by TDC. Here the end user has to pay DKK 12,000 (USD 1,824 / EUR
1,608) one time fee and with that he gets everything including 5 years
of free internet. This works out at DKK 200 / month including 25% VAT
tax (USD 30 / EUR 27).

Very interesting - don't you feel that an initial outlay like that could
put some potential customers off? Then again, per capita income in
Denmark, I'd imagine, could allow most to think about this. If all that
buys me Internet access for 5 years before I have to shell out anymore
wedge, I'd do it.

I assume this is targeted towards single-family detached houses, where
the family owns the house themselves.  Then they likely will view that
as an investment in the house.  If you want to sell your house a couple
of years later, and it doesn't have a fiber connection, buyers will be
less attracted to the house, and want to pay less.

It might also be more expensive to connect after the initial buildout
of an area.  I believe that's how the commercial companies in Sweden
that build FTTH work.

I can also note that where I live (Linköping, Sweden), the municipal
fiber company charges ~2400 EUR to connect a single-family home to their
network.  That does *not* include the laying of fiber on your property,
from the street to your house.  And on top of that, you need to buy
Internet connectivity from a normal commercial ISP at a monthly cost;
the municipal fiber company only provides layer 2 connectivity between
the home and the ISPs (currently 19 different ISPs).

        /Bellman