nanog mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

From: Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan <giri () dombox org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 22:13:44 +0530

What makes you think I never did any research?

https://medium.com/@Viruthagiri/smtp-ports-25-vs-587-vs-465-de1046f57636

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:10 PM James Downs <egon () egon cc> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2019, at 08:14, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan <giri () dombox org>
wrote:

My solution is intended for clients. A client should decide whether to
transmit mails in clear text or not.

You should spend some time doing research by reading RFCs, and doing a
little searching on the internet. Your proposal, would, canonically be
called SMTPS.

If you put that into a search engine, you'll find not only is it
deprecated, but has an assigned port number of 465.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS

--
Best Regards,

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan