nanog mailing list archives

Re: QoS for Office365

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 20:59:06 +0200

On 8/Jul/19 20:50, Warren Kumari wrote:

Depends -- I'd note that the OP said "How can we mark the trafic while
keeping the security..." -- some people use the COS / DSCP bits to
annotate packets with security information, and use that to make
*security decisions* instead of using it to prioritize traffic. Now,
I'm not saying that this is why the OP is asking (or that I think it
is a good idea, because, well,  I don't think it is!), but it *is* a
practice worth knowing about.

Assuming we are discussing such packets traversing the public Internet,
a little tricky to expect IPP/DSCP values to remain intact in the life
of an Internet packet.

Mark.