nanog mailing list archives

Re: Crowdfunding critical infrastructure

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 17:56:55 -0500

Once upon a time, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> said:
This may have been an anomaly made possible by early .com $, but I'm
pretty sure at one point, companies like VA Research / VA Linux
employed developers who in various cases worked part or full time on
the Linux kernel and other Open Source projects "as their job".

The vast majority of developers of software in a typical Linux
distribution are paid to work on it.  That's what companies like Red
Hat, Canonical, SuSE, and many others do.

There's lots of other stuff that's contributed to as a consequence of
their job.  When I needed software to support DEC Unix features for
example (because that's what my company used), I wrote patches and
submitted them to OpenSSH, BIND, etc.  My company was fine with that
(we weren't going to sell software).

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>