nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

From: Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 09:40:05 +0200

Brandon,

Le 30/05/2019 à 03:46, Brandon Martin a écrit :
The only way I know to do this is to packet switch, as either Ethernet or GFP-F OTN traffic, the subscriber data onto a FlexODU at the desired subscriber rate within the OTU4.  Other traffic could then be placed within the same OTU4 using the normal OTN TDM mechanisms including subrate (e.g. 10Gbps) traffic that might NOT require packet switching since it could be re-framed/re-transmitted onto the OTU4 at its native line rate.

You're right on spot !

What I have in mind is actually to combine line-rate ODUs with a static mapping and pipe the uncommitted capacity to a packet-switch.

Statically commited services will be muxponded in fastpath, hence no jitter and less latency, while the fractionnal ports use the remaining ports, mostly for low-priority IP traffic.

Now I was assuming ODUFlex in CBR mode would allow fractionnal services without packet switching, but mapping an ethernet service to it would require some equivalent glue logic I guess, specifically for this case :

The crux of this is what happens when you have a subscriber service who's native line rate exceeds the provisioned OTN throughput which is a scenario OP alluded exactly to.

Yup. Should it hard-drop ? Buffer ? Both are unthinkable in OTN terms (is that a cultural thing ?). It's what packet networks are made for. And that's why an alien device, with support for Ethernet, OTN and programmable pipelines, could bridge the gap, allowing for a more efficient use of optical bandwidth.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14