nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

From: Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 14:13:34 +0200

Hi Adam,

Le 31/05/2019 à 13:48, adamv0025 () netconsultings com a écrit :
There's got to be vendors out there having an optical chasses with a
combination of OTN and ethernet cards for the revenue side of the chasses
-look at transmode/Infinera maybe?

For now the only vendor which seems to fit the bill is ECI, with their Apollo (and maybe Neptune) lines. But it's far more expensive and less dense that what StrataDNX-based OCP switch could do.

Most OTN vendors I got feedback from insists on using their "point and click" NMS which is a PITA in terms of productivity and forbids automation. It simply bares them from my wannabe-future-proof network.

On the "looking ahead" notion, is it really impossible to build low latency
packet-switched networks?
As you know selling full rate L1 circuits will render your core mostly empty
(...all that BW that could be monetized).

Packet-switching at flexible bandwidth requires buffering, while OTN with CBR only channels would map frames to the uplink' bitstream in real-time.

This allows for a 250ns port-to-port latency instead of 450ns for the best-of-breed, and up to 4µs for looked-up switching or routing.

Also there won't be jitter on muxponded circuits, while buffering eliminates deterministic latency.

And you also got right to the point : most customers will never fill their pipes, so there's extra gain to get from that hybrid box.

It's my understanding that some of the largest networks are already working on it, but it's "classified material" for now. I may as well postpone my deployment waiting for their R&D to be contributed to the OCP project, but I'd rather contribute instead.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14