nanog mailing list archives

Re: Disney+ Streaming

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 19:00:49 +0200

On 29/Nov/19 14:42, Brandon Butterworth wrote:

Bringing this back on charter, how many different CDN appliances
will we need to host for all these VoD providers? I'm just as
guilty there having made our own CDN for the BBC (as well as using
commercial ones).

This is one of the practical issues we are having to consider with this
VoD provider fragmentation.

From experience, CDN's prefer on-net caches to peering/public caches,
and just about all of them are building away from the Akamai's of the world.

We, for example, host a number of CDN clusters at our CLS's along the
Eastern and Southern African coastline. As some of you may remember the
recent discussions on CLS's vs. data centres for co-lo, it presents a
real problem when trying to meet scale, and you want as much content
on-continent for your eyeballs as you can get.

Mark.