nanog mailing list archives

Re: VDSL

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:22:03 -0700

On 10/16/19 5:12 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:
On 10/16/19 2:42 PM, Jeff Shultz wrote:
But I'm confused a bit by the below - G.Fast is a twisted pair
standard, last I saw - why would a cable (presumably coax) company be
offering it?  Are they just taking over the PTT's inside wiring?

G.fast has definitions for both twisted pair and coax PHYs.  That gets everybody interested.

The biggest issue for the CATV operators is that the coax PHY monopolizes the cable meaning you can't use it for conventional channelized RF type services, so if the subscriber wants cable TV in addition to IP service, you either have to have a side-by-side IPTV deployment or revert to running DOCSIS over channelized RF next to your linear TV system.  I've seen micro fiber-fed DOCSIS nodes for this purpose.  DOCSIS 3.1 with a good RF budget and lots of channel space can get a few gigs of bandwidth which is quite usable for a midsize MDU. Chuck one of those down in the telco room, and you're good to feed potentially a couple hundred units using traditional DOCSIS+linear TV which is what people expect from a CATV operator.  Anyone who just wants IP service and ends up wanting tons of bandwidth can get moved over to packet-fed G.fast as needed.

As somebody who stopped using satellite/cable about a year ago, I can't see any reason why you'd want to get a cable package when you can get an over the top package for about $60 less. Yes, hulu and youtube's UI's suck, but that's a curable problem.

I do this on a 25Mb dsl link and it works just fine. Cable tv qua cable tv is doomed.

Mike