nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: 10g residential CPE

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 25 Dec 2020 16:25:56 -0500

In article <dc462f3d-2b2c-f294-d4d3-f28cf083fcf8 () mtcc com> you write:
I'm fine with "free stuff". But it seems we've hit saturation on a
number of front like camera and screen pixels, ghz of cpu, TB's of disk,
Gb's of netio for residential stuff.

My provider on the other (Volcano Internet) doesn't seem to have got
this memo though. They are building out fiber and the rate sheet is the
same as for DSL. I mean, wtf?

How fast is your DSL?  It looks like your provider's DSL tops out at 50/5, which
I suspect is not available everywhere, while fiber starts at 25/25 and goes to 100/100.

I rather like the 100/100 symmetrical bandwidth on my fiber. I can
assure you that 100/100 feels noticably faster than 25/5 even though
nothing here would use even 25Mb sustained.

R's,
John