nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10g residential CPE

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:31:57 +0200

On 12/28/20 19:01, Aaron Wendel wrote:

Darin,

We charge a $300 one time install charge to cover our costs on the 1G service (which can be paid out at $25/mo if you can't afford $300 all at once).

The area we serve is mainly lower and lower-middle-class income with an 80% transient population.  Seven years ago, when "digital divide" and "digital literacy" were the buzz words, we instituted our "free" 1G service in an effort to level the playing field for the population who, otherwise, can't afford internet at all, let alone at that speed.  Until recently we didn't charge for residential service at any tier.  Rather than putting in "income tiers", making people fill out applications for assistance, etc. we just made it free for everyone.  We also provide free 100G service to the local school district as well as free service to local government, police, fire stations (Firemen (and women) had to pay for their own internet to use while they were on duty before us), library, churches and other non-profits.

That's the why.  The how is that we control a LOT of fiber in the metro area that is in use by a lot of very large providers that everyone's heard of.  We make enough money doing that so we don't feel the need to charge the residences for a basic level of service.

I love it!

Well done, and really creative!

Mark.