nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIPE NCC Executive Board election

From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 22:56:59 -0400

On Wed, 13 May 2020 17:00:14 -0400, Jon Lewis said:

When you've convinced Cisco, Juniper, Arista, and a few other router
vendors to implement, and have submitted patches for the Linux kernel and
userspace to implement IPv4+ (good luck with all that...and expect to be
met with "Can we have some of what you've been smoking?"), then you can
start pushing your next gen IP concepts.  Until then, it's a total
non-starter.

At least when Dave Taht was pushing his "make the class E space usable",
he had patches and testing for multiple systems.  Turns out that not many
systems check for 'first octet >= 240', but actually test for the class D space
and using class E Just Works an amazing percent of the time....

(Yes, I was surprised myself, but deploying it is still very much in the
"effort better spent deploying IPv6" territory...)