nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC: rulemaking on STIR/SHAKEN and Caller ID Authentication

From: Paul Timmins <paul () telcodata us>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 17:19:24 -0400

A *LOT* goes through at least one TDM transition (so you can kiss that identity header goodbye). None of the big names in long distance termination support STIR/SHAKEN. There's about 4-5 that will do STIR/SHAKEN outside of testbed connectivity (my employer is one). One big name is still using a self signed certificate to sign their STIR/SHAKEN calls, it'll expire in a couple weeks so they should figure life out quickly. I won't shame them here.

The lions share of intercarrier traffic won't go through SIP until the big ILECs are required to interconnect over SIP in reasonable and non-discriminatory ways. I'm not holding my breath.

(AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless hide behind their respective landline networks generally, and without SIP connectivity to those, you won't be getting green checkmark calls to people on the two largest wireless carriers outside of private testbed connectivity anytime soon)

https://authenticate.iconectiv.com/authorized-service-providers-authenticate

-Paul