nanog mailing list archives

Re: Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:09:51 +0200

On 4/14/21 07:44, Yang Yu wrote:

a watch that has been cancelled, not an emergency
http://www.ercot.com/services/comm/mkt_notices/opsmessages/2021/04

Apr 13 2021 19:22:55 CST
Physical Responsive Capability < 2500 MW: ERCOT has cancelled the
following notice: ERCOT is issuing a Watch due to Physical Responsive
Capability being below 2500 MW.
Watch
Cancelled

there was no supply shortage in day ahead market (not a generation
capacity shortage)
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/20210413_dam_spp

day-ahead forecast peak was ~2800 MW lower than current-day forecast,
as a result actual load exceeded current-day HSL (High Sustained
Limit). The  gap peaked 340MW at 4pm
http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/loadForecastVsActualPreviousDay.html
https://imgur.com/a/6MW5qU4 (screenshot)

ancillary services (10 minute responsive reserve service, 30 minute
non-spin) were deployed to meet higher than forecast demand and worked
as expected

reserve never dropped under 2300MW which would have triggered an
emergency (EEA-1)

emergency response service (additional generation/load resources
reserved for emergencies) wasn't deployed
http://www.ercot.com/services/programs/load/eils

Pity, I can't access ERCOT's web site (I believe others had the same issue last time). They say I need to show a business reason why access should be granted. I can't be asked.

There appears to be some discrepancy between what ERCOT are publishing and what the media are sharing. Wouldn't be the first time.

But considering it's all over the place, no smoke without fire.

Mark.