nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Noah <noah () neo co tz>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:56:28 +0300

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 05:08 John Kristoff, <jtk () dataplane org> wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:29:48 -0700
Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

Further, the registries are not engaged in the daily operations of the
internet.

Hi Owen,

Your statement above I have to insist is simply incorrect.  In addition
to the traditional services that are relied upon in a variety of daily
operations (e.g. WHOIS, IRR, DNS reverse delegations), the increasingly
important RPKI TAs/PPs services are of utmost importance in the daily
operations of an increasing number of networks within and outside their
region.  They are just a different kind of infrastructure service
operator than we may be commonly thing of when it comes to network
operations.

+1 as its important to remind folk the above and most importantly to
provide the additional distinct role of the RIR and their importance beyond
just managing INR allocations.

Noah

John