nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:00:40 +0200

On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 06:38, Masataka Ohta <
mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:

Shane Ronan wrote:

But in fact with local number portability, you cannot rely on the county
code to tell you where to route a telephone call anymore.

Not. With geographical aggregation, you may route a call
*anywhere* in the destination country.

You mean anywhere in the world. Calls to my number reach my cell phone no
matter where I go.

Number portability database is looked up after the call
reaches the destination country, which will be used for
further intra-national routing, which do not affect
country-wise aggregation of international routing table.

Actually the GSM system will query the HLR to find out where to really
route the call. Much like LISP actually.

Regards,

Baldur