nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rack rails on network equipment

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:15:42 -0500

Once upon a time, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
I care, but it bothers me less that the inconsiderate air flow
implemented in quite a bit of network gear. Side cooling? Pulling air
from the side you know will be facing the hot aisle? Seriously, the
physical build of network equipment is not entirely competent.

Which - why do I have to order different part numbers for back to front
airflow?  It's just a fan, can't it be made reversible?  Seems like that
would be cheaper than stocking alternate part numbers.
--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>