nanog mailing list archives

Re: Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:24:44 -0700

On 2/8/22 4:13 PM, Mark Delany wrote:
Hard to disagree with "their network, their rules", but we're talking about an entrenched, pervasive, Internet-wide behaviorial issue.

The entrenched, pervasive, Internet-wide behavior used to be to use any convenient SMTP server to relay mail too.

The entrenched, pervasive, <something?>-wide behavior used to be to smoke on planes too.

Things change with the times.

My guess is that making ping/ICMP less reliable to the extent that it becomes unusable wont change fundamental behavior. Rather, it'll make said "pingers" reach for another tool that does more or less the same thing with more or less as little extra effort as possible on their part.

I'm curious what sort of resources Google, et al., expend responding to these types of tests.

And what might such an alternate tool do? My guess is one which SYN/ACKs various popular TCP ports (say 22, 25, 80, 443) and maybe sends a well-formed UDP packet to a few popular DNS ports (say 53 and 119). Let's call this command "nmap -sn" with a few tweaks, shall we?

If ~> when that happens, we'll probably start to see responses for those tests too.

After all, it's no big deal to the pinger if their reachability command now exchanges 10-12 packets with resource intensive destination ports instead of a couple of packets to lightweight destinations. I'll bet most pingers will neither know nor care, especially if their next-gen ping works more consistently than the old one.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it might be easier for Google to respond to a full / fat / heavy weight HTTP GET / POST that includes an actual search than it is to respond to an ICMP ping. As if their network magic is a LOT more efficient / better scaled for HTTP than it is for ICMP. <ASCII shruggie>

So. Question. Will making ping/ICMP mostly useless for home-gamers and lazy network admins change internet behaviour for the better? Or will it have unintended consequences such as an evolutionary adaptation by the tools resulting in yet more unwanted traffic which is even harder to eliminate?

Time will tell.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die