nanog mailing list archives

home router battery backup

From: Scott T Anderson via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:35:19 +0000

Hi NANOG mailing list,

I am a graduate student, currently conducting research on how power outages affect home Internet users. I know that the
FCC has a regulation since 2015 (47 CFR Section 9.20) requiring ISPs to provide an option to voice customers to
purchase a battery backup for emergency voice services during power outages. As this is only an option and only applies
to customers who subscribe to voice services, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on the prevalence of battery
backup for home modem/routers? I.e., what percentage of home users actually install a battery backup in their home
modem/router or use an external UPS?

Thanks.
Scott

Reference for 47 CFR Section 9.20: