nanog mailing list archives

Re: SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:52:24 -0800

What worries me more is the opportunity for adversaries to inject SRv6
packets. MPLS is not enabled by default on most router interfaces, so
an adversary would have to have access to an interface where MPLS
processing is explicitly enabled. IPv6 packet processing on the other
hand… Unless an operator has airtight protection on every interface to
block unwanted SRv6 headers I see some interesting opportunities to
cause havoc :)

this is quite true, and a serious issue.  but it has a good side.  if
you run an ipv6 enebled network, you can deploy srv6 without enabling
srv6 everywhere, only at the marking encaps or embed) points.  nice for
partial and/or incremental deployment.

randy, with no dog in this fight