nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux (or BSD) hosted BGP?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 04:35:57 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us>

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 6:40 PM Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc> wrote:
The implication being that while it might work, it would make administration of
the system onerous and unpredictable, considering we are dealing with a ton of
FreeBSD installations, and not just a single server.

Adjusting a single tunable is 'onerous'?

No, but it's brittle. A workaround, not a solution. Likely to break
during future maintenance. "Unpredictable" as Mark put it.

Nothing a routing daemon does should involve the kernel BPF. The next
sysadmin won't be expecting it.

That's such an important thought that it has a name.

The Principle of Least Astonishment.

"When doing things, try to pick the way among many that will least confuse
the people who have to pick up the pieces when you get hit by a bus."

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com