nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: joel () joelesler net
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 09:35:10 -0400

On May 13, 2023, at 4:03 AM, Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 5/12/23 22:14, Mike Hammett wrote:

"I remember 10y ago every presentation started from the claim that 100B of IoT would drive XXX traffic. It did not
happen"

Often the type of people making these kinds of predictions that a tire pressure sensor generates 20 gigabytes of
traffic a day.

I like growing old... your BS detector becomes so slick, you know to ignore certain links, conferences, speakers,
topics, meetings, slideware, e-mails, colleagues and announcements without fear of actually missing out on trends,
because you know that in the end it will lead to nowhere real :-).

As a security guy.  The end of year “prediction for next year” papers are wearing me out.  As an author of several of
the big ones, I’m over it too