nanog mailing list archives

Re: Aptum refuses to SWIP

From: Jim <mysidia () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 16:05:15 -0500

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 12:09 PM Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net> wrote:

On 5/4/2023 9:09 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:

I can't speak for aptum, but I'm curious as to why this is important to
you?

SWIP'ing or delegating address space is a requirement of the contract
signed with ARIN when

They can SWIP or Publish the information in "a directory services system
which meets the standards set forth in section 3.2."  ISPs are Required to
publish each individual network delegation of a /29 or more addresses
Identifying the holder,
other than they can Redact the personal information for
individual residential customers.

So an ISP Don't have to SWIP as long as they do the second thing,  But
Either way each individual customer network
larger than the size threshold and their provided  contacts are to appear
in WHOIS.

This is important in order to
provide accurate NOC / Technical and Abuse contact to the community for the
purposes Of  validating legitimate
technical contacts for a variety of reasons,  contacting users about
connectivity issues,  and being able to
submit abuse reports expeditiously to All Involved contacts (Abuse reports
and technical issues are not to be sent
Solely to a network's upstream provider).

If the info. is not published then they are not fulfilling their
obligations and expected conduct as a network service provider
(they have not subdelegated those numbers and retain them for their own
use).

--
-J