nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opengear alternatives that support 5g?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 13:57:24 +0200

On 4/27/24 07:56, Saku Ytti wrote:

For me Cisco is great here, because it's something an organisation
already knows how to source, turn-up, upgrade, troubleshoot, maintain.
And you get a broad set of features you might want, IPSEC, DMVPN, BGP,
ISIS, and so forth.

I tend to agree.

Cisco do this very well, and if you are really low on cash and okay with acquiring these on the cheap, the open market has tons of deals and options from Cisco that have matured over the decades.

I keep wondering why everyone is so focused on OOB hardware cost, when
in my experience the ethernet connection is ~200-300USD (150USD can be
just xconn) MRC. So in 10 years, you'll pay 24k to 36k just for the
OOB WAN, masking the hardware price. And 10years, to me, doesn't sound
even particularly long a time for a console setup.

Is a 10Mbps DIA link going for US$200 - US$300 MRC nowadays, excluding the x-connect? I'd have though it's now in US$100 range at the very worst.

Or are you looking at an OoB link of more than 10Mbps?

Mark.