nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Opengear alternatives that support 5g?

From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn () geeks org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:52:33 -0500

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 07:04:25AM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
Michel's Banana Pi BPI-R3 suggestion seems intriguing — yes, it still
suffers from the "Now I have another "machine" to manage and patch, and
people will try and install iperf / a Quake server / nmap / ruby / 17
different flavors of Emacs on it", but:
1: Perhaps I can mitigate that by making much of the filesystem read-only
and
2: it's a great excuse to buy another toy!

Another option would be a RaPi Compute Module 4 with eMMC
onboard. (ie. the non-Lite version does not need a SDCard)
They have breakout boards for the Compute Module that have spots for
5G WAN.
https://thepihut.com/products/compute-module-4-industrial-iot-base-board

PiKVM does make the file system read-only, that you have to
temporarily disable to do updates, config changes, etc). Potentially, you could
copy what they do there.

I also like Jared and Andrew's freetserv /
https://lathama.net/Tech/Hardware/USB-32COM-RM option. I might see about
building a bunch of the freetserv boards and connecting them to a Banana
Pi…. although, more realistically, I'll likely buy a few Banana Pi's, and
add them to the ever expanding pile of backlog projects…

One suggestion for freetserv boards I have would be to get a board printer like https://jlcpcb.com
to also do the assembly of the surface mount components. Last time I checked, they
only did one side, Not both sides.. Have them do the complex side. Pricing was
very reasonable. The back non-complex side wasn't that bad overall.