nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:49:27 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, William Herrin wrote:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:24 AM Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:
Standard practice is to localpref your customers up, which makes prepends irrelevant. Why would anyone expect different
behavior?

It gives me, your paying customer, less control over my routing
through your network than if I wasn't your paying customer. That
seems... backwards.

Not at all.  Think like a service provider.

"I've got packets to deliver. I've got 3 different classes of paths I can use. One of them, I get paid to use. One is cost neutral. The last one, I pay to use."

Which path would you pick (assuming you're trying to maximize revenue from your network)?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)              |  I route
 Blue Stream Fiber, Sr. Neteng  |  therefore you are