Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP performance patch (ICMP Unreachable rate limited)

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:49:32 +0200

Alec H. Peterson wrote:
Greetings,

In April somebody posted a patch that really helps my performance when
scanning hosts that are protected by firewalls that give rate limited ICMP
destination unreachable messages for firewall violations.  I applied this
patch to 3.81, but it makes me wonder why it has not been accepted into the
actual distribution.  What are the consequences of using this patch?

For reference, I found the patch at:

<http://xtrmntr.org/ORBman/tmp/nmap/nmap-3.78-defeat_ICMP_ratelimit.patch>

That's one of Martin Méoks' (I'm nearly 100% sure I spelled the last
name wrong) creations. I believe it was just submitted at a bad time
when the Fyodor was revamping a lot of other functionality. It's quite
possible it was just forgotten, but I seem to remember at least one user
having problems with it not properly detecting some hosts when it's a
router that does the limiting (as opposed to the final destination of
the packet).

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se
Lead Developer