Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on RedHat

From: magnus () linuxtag org (Nils Magnus)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:27:01 +0100

Re,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:18:43PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
Derwael Patrick wrote:

[root@shrike root]# nmap -sT -v -O 10.1.6.132

Starting nmap 3.91 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
<http://www.insecure.org/nmap/>  ) at 2005-11-23 15:18 CET
Initiating ARP Ping Scan against 10.1.6.132 [1 port] at 15:18
caught SIGSEGV signal, cleaning up

Could someone tell me what is going wrong ?

The kernel doesn't like that, so it sends the offending process (nmap,
in this case) a segmentation violation signal (SIGSEGV), which roughly
translates to a good kick in the fracas for fondling someone elses
girlfriend. The fracas being sensitive and the kernel being mighty, this
means an early night for nmap.

Very good translation of an SIGSEGV :), but I guess Patrick's question
concerned more the cause, not the effect.

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2006 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2006: Where .com meets .org - magnus () linuxtag org