Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --win_help

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:22:33 -0800

Hi Baumgart,

I looked into the publication you've mentioned and was pleasantly
suprised to find that they have the book's text online. The part of the
text you're refering to:

http://www.networkuptime.com/nmap/page10-02.shtml

has information that is no longer accurate due to not being able to use
raw sockets on windows. I found the following in the CHANGELOG file
for version 3.90:

o Removed WinIP library (and all Windows raw sockets code) since MS
  has gone and broken raw sockets.  Maybe packet receipt via raw
  sockets will come back at some point.  As part of this removal, the
  Windows-specific --win_help, --win_list_interfaces, --win_norawsock,
  --win_forcerawsock, --win_nopcap, --win_nt4route, --win_noiphlpapi,
  and --win_trace options have been removed.

It's interesting you mention slow DNS because I happen to be working on
an asychronous DNS resolver which should speed up reverse DNS lookups
a great deal. You can download the development patch here:

http://www.hcsw.org/nmap/

However, there might be some other reason you're seeing slow DNS
resolution. Could you be more specific please? Is this with a large
number of targets? Is DNS always slow on that machine, ie: do you
have slow DNS servers?

It sounds like if you have an active connection but an unplugged
interface then you won't be able to reach the DNS servers at all
(or even the targets)? Try using -n to disable reverse DNS
queries entirely.

Doug