Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --win_help

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:38:18 +0100

doug () hcsw org wrote:

It's interesting you mention slow DNS because I happen to be working on
an asychronous DNS resolver which should speed up reverse DNS lookups
a great deal. You can download the development patch here:

This probably won't help him, seeing as he has an active but
disconnected network interface which, I'm guessing, windows thinks of as
the primary one.

It sounds like if you have an active connection but an unplugged
interface then you won't be able to reach the DNS servers at all
(or even the targets)? Try using -n to disable reverse DNS
queries entirely.

I'm guessing multiple NIC's, but windows tries to use the wrong one.
This happens on my XP SP1 as well, although I can't say I'm surprised
they haven't gotten to the "link up" stage yet...

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se